How To Make a Kalita (Video)
Watch as we show you how we make coffee in a Kalita dripper.
POSTED. Nov 2, 2020
The Kalita is similar to the Hario V60 but it yields a slightly different flavor profile than the V60 due to the different shape of the brewer. We use the 1 to 16 ratio for coffee to water. 25 grams of coffee to 400 milliliters of water.
- Grind coffee to a medium fine grind size
- Heat your water to about 205 degrees
- Rinse your filter, this removes any paper flavor and preheats your vessel
- Discard rinse water
- Add ground coffee and tare your scale
- Add 40 milliliters of water and allow coffee to bloom for 30 seconds
- Add 120 grams of water every 30 seconds until you reach your desired water weight of 400 milliliters by 2 minutes. This allows for an even and balanced extraction.
- Start by pouring in 40 milliliters of water • At 30 seconds pour in water to reach 160 milliliters of water
- At 1 minute pour in 280 water to reach milliliters of water
- At 1 minute and 30 seconds pour in water to reach 400 milliliters water
- Your coffee should finish dripping by 2 minutes and 30 seconds
- If it takes too long, your grind is too fine and if it brews too quickly, your grind is too coarse.